Saturday, September 4, 2010

it's a-maize-ing

It never ceases to astound me what joyful treasures there are to be found in the mundane.....take for instance, the back yard, severely in need of mowing. The hubster and I just realized this weekend that we have a rather unusual if somewhat surprising piece of greenery growing in this yard.....




As you can plainly see, not your everyday variety of lawn grass, is it? How it got there is unknown......it's another one of those little surprises we have come across. The other one was a wildly overgrown sand pile (buried at the back end of a working sand-pit) that had a vegetable garden growing in it, complete with green tomatoes (at least 6 plants),several vines (not sure if squash, melon, or cucumber), I believe there was at least one pepper plant, and several stalks the hubby thought were corn until I looked at the tops. When I later went online to scope out grains, I was able to identify it as millet....Not sure where the seeds for all of these came from, another little mystery to ponder during the dog days of summer....

No comments:

Post a Comment